Mystery Quest Series
The Lost City of Atlantis
According to its website on the History Channel,
"Mystery Quest dispatches teams of experts throughout the world to try to solve some of mankind's strangest and most persistent mysteries. Top experts in their fields launch expeditions to gather evidence in mysteries like the Bermuda Triangle, the Zodiac serial killer, and Atlantis. A science team then conducts a forensic examination of the evidence using the latest technologies. Each episode presents a thorough step-by-step investigation of the mystery and by the end the teams reveal results that in some cases just may re-write history."
This episode puts forward an explorer searching for Atlantis and an expert with a theory about Atlantis. The idea is to present both points of view and let them argue it out based on the scientific evidence. Your task will be to judge how successful was the episode in doing what the series claims to do.
Important questions to consider:
1. Who are Greg and Lora Little? What are their credentials?
2. How are the Bimini Road and Rectangles related to Atlantis?
3.What would constitute proof that the Bimini Road and the Rectangles are relics of Atlantis?
4. What evidence do the Littles find to support their theory about Atlantis?
5. What problems occur with the Littles’ evidence?
6. How does Edgar Cayce fit into this documentary?
7. Who is Costas Synolakis? What are his credentials?
8. What is Synolakis’s theory about Atlantis?
9. What evidence is presented for Synolakis theory?
10. What stance does Mystery Quest take regarding the existence of Atlantis?
11. Are any other experts brought in to debunk or rebut the theories of the Littles or Synolakis?
12. How does the episode end?
13. Do you find this episode convincing or not? Why?